When it comes to getting engaged, many couples want to find a special location that is unique and memorable. If you’re looking for a romantic place to ask the most special of all questions, South Wales has plenty of options to choose from. From charming countryside villages, to stunning coastal towns and historical landmarks, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful region of the UK.
If you’re stuck for ideas on where to propose, here are 10 of the most romantic places to get engaged in South Wales:
1. Llansteffan, Carmarthenshire – As one of the most picturesque destinations in Carmarthenshire, Llansteffan offers the perfect location to propose due to its scenery, history, and amenities. The castle, beaches, and coastal walks offer a selection of tranquil and scenic places to get engaged before heading back in to the village for a celebratory drink.
2. Laugharne, Carmarthenshire – Located on the River Taf estuary, opposite the town of Pendine, Laugharne is popular because of its scenic waterfront location and historic sites. Some of the main places to propose include Laugharne Castle, which dates back to the 13th century, and Brown’s Hotel, which was once frequented by author Dylan Thomas. There are also many walking trails in and around the town that offer beautiful places to relax and unwind before asking the most important of all questions.
3. Paxton’s Tower, Carmarthenshire – Paxtons Tower is a beautiful old tower runs that is thought to have been built in the 13th century by Payn de Turberville. All that remains of his manor house, but despite being in ruins, Paxton’s Tower remains an important local landmark and a stunning location to get engaged if you enjoy historical landmarks with a scenic view.
4. Pembrokeshire Coast National Park – From Bosherston Lily Ponds and the beautiful Broadhaven South to Barafundle Bay and the UK’s smallest city of St. Davids, this picturesque national park is renowned for its dramatic coastal scenery, making it a popular spot for proposal photography.
5. Tenby & Caldey Island– The seaside town of Tenby is located on the stunning Pembrokeshire coast and is famed for its medieval walls, sandy beaches and picturesque harbour. These make for a romantic setting when getting down on one knee, especially if you catch the sunset over the sea. Alternatively, Caldey Island is located off the coast of Pembrokeshire, just south of Tenby. It’s a small, privately-owned island that is home to a Cistercian monastery which offers beautiful surroundings to plan a peaceful proposal away from the outside world.
6. Cardigan bay – Cardigan Bay is a stunning natural wonder that covers an area of nearly 200 square miles. The bay is located in West Wales and is known for its expansive coastline, sheltered coves, and dramatic cliffs. The area is also home to a variety of marine life, including dolphins and seals as well as beautiful locations such as Cenarth Falls and Newquay.
7. Brecon Beacons National Park – If you’re looking for a more rural setting, the Brecon Beacons is the perfect place to get engaged. This stunning national park is home to rolling hills, peaceful lakes and picturesque villages, providing plenty of opportunity for a romantic proposal. The national park is also home to The Fans – Llyn y Fan Fach, Llyn y Fach Fawr and Pen y Fan, all of which offer wonderfully picturesque walks with peaceful summit locations to propose from.
8. The Gower Peninsula – This Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is located on the southwest coast of Wales and is home to a number of stunning beaches such as Rhossili Bay, Three Cliff’s Bay and Worm’s Head. These make for the perfect proposal spot, especially if you catch the sunset over the sea.
9. The Neath Vale – Also known as waterfall county, the Neath Vale is characterised by rolling hills and green pastures, and the area is known for its lovely villages and historic castles. If you’re looking for a relaxing break away from the hustle and bustle of city life, then the Neath Vale is the perfect choice with perfect waterfall proposal spots such as Henryd falls, Sgwd Yr Eira, Sgwd Gwladys and Aberdulais falls.
10. Cardiff – The capital city of Wales is also a great place to get engaged, thanks to its mix of historic and modern architecture. From the imposing castles that line the skyline, to the romantic parks and gardens, there are plenty of choice when it comes to finding the perfect proposal spot. Ideal places to propose in the capital include Cardiff Castle, Cardiff Bay, Wales Millenium Centre and the National Museum of Wales.
No matter where you decide to pop the question throughout South Wales, we’re got the perfect Engagement Rings to help you propose in style this year. From traditional solitaire diamond rings to more contemporary halo engagement rings, we have the perfect selection of rings for you to choose from in our unique Carmarthen Jewellery store.